Eye on Sports

Tuesday, October 05, 2004


Carrom: SHEEEESH....

The Visitor has been pestering me for a post about carrom. So here it is.

Carrom is fun. Carrom is easy to play. Carrom is not an Olympic sport.

That's it for today.

What? Not enough? Sigh....

Ok, to tell the truth, I DID play carrom when I was a kid. I remember my favourite part of playing it was sprinkling the Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder (in white bottle) on the surface so that the carrom pieces/pucks/whatever would glide smoothly. I usually ended up making the board look like the Alps after that, and the puck would occasionally slam into a bunker of sno.. er... powder and send a white cloud flying into our noses.

Anyway, one thing I never got about carrom was the way you flick the puck. Do you use your index finger and the thumb in an 'OK' position, or the finger and the middle one in a more sideways motion? Every time I used the second option, I'd send the puck flying out of the board.

I used to have a carrom board at home, but I lost the pieces when I mixed them with my Lego, and my mom gave them away when they moved to KL. So we rather than buying new set of pieces, we just donated the board to someone.

That's about it. It's been ages since I played Carrom. Although if The Visitor would be so kind as to bring a board and the pieces to the office, I'll gladly have a game... :-D

Complain to the referee here! => |