Eye on Sports

Thursday, September 23, 2004


Football: Deportivo 1 - 5 Valencia : Woohoo!

I didn't get to watch the match last night (didn't even KNOW it was on), but when my colleague told me about it, I couldn't believe it. 5 -1 !!!! This was a Valencia away game at the Riazor, against one of the forerunners of the Spanish league title, Deportivo!

FIVE different players scored (Corradi, Di Vaio, Vicente, Rufete and Baraja), and all this was done without the injured Pablo Aimar. Apparently, Di Vaio's goal was a cheeky backheel, while Vicente's was a screamer. I have GOT to catch the replay of this match.

Even without Aimar, Valencia look very good now. I'm thankful that none of the players from last season's double-winning team have been poached by the so-called 'bigger teams' like Real Madrid or Barcelona. Ayala, Aimar, Vicente, Baraja, Canizares, Albelda, Marchena, Mista, Miguel Angulo (who was nearly sold to Arsenal, god knows why THEY needed another striker) are all still there. In fact, Ranieri has strengthened the squad further by getting Di Vaio, who has been scoring for fun.

Having Ranieri take over at Valencia was a nice turn of events for me, especially since Rafa Benitez went to Liverpool, I was hoping that someone good would take over at Valencia. And Ranieri was a great choice, especially since he'd been at the club before, and is a damn good coach (Chelsea was bodoh to let him go).

Well, at least ONE of my teams are doing well. Now, if only Liverpool could do the same...

Complain to the referee here! => |